Cosmetic surgery of the ear can change its size, position and proportion. Common among both children and adults, these procedures can have a dramatic effect on your appearance and confidence levels.
What can ear surgery do for you?
The ears are very difficult to hide – especially if they are large and protruding.
If you are constantly trying to cover your ears with your hair or avoiding photos because of them, it may be time to make a change. Ear surgery and earlobe repair in Portland with Dr. Lewis can correct most aesthetic issues affecting this area, including:
- Protruding ears
- A torn or stretched earlobe
- Misshapen or deformed ears
The benefits of ear surgery
- Safe procedure with very few risks
- The ability to correct a wide range of aesthetic issues
- Children enjoy increased confidence and reduced bullying
- Virtually imperceptible scarring + natural results
- Minimal downtime of about one week
FAQ: What is the ideal age for ear surgery?
Because so many ear surgery patients are children in Portland, age is an important consideration when planning this procedure. It can be safely performed on both children and adults, but the majority of patients are between 4 and 14 years of age.
The reality is that ear surgery benefits patients of all ages. However, there are some advantages to having the procedure done earlier in life, including:
- The cartilage is malleable and easier to shape
- The child may avoid teasing or bullying thanks to early cosmetic intervention
The recovery period
Immediately after ear surgery, your head will be wrapped with bandages to promote healing and protect the area. These bandages will be changed to a lighter version in a few days. After one week, your dressings will be replaced with a soft headband that covers the ears and holds them in their new position. For their earlobe repair in Portland, patients simply wear an anti-bacterial ointment on their earlobes.
During the recovery period, it’s important to:
- Avoid rigorous activities and roughhousing until the healing process is complete
- Sleep on your back to avoid placing pressure on your ears
- Keep your head elevated to minimize swelling
- Avoid extreme heat, such as hair dryers
- Avoid washing your hair for a week
As a general rule, most children can return to school in one week, and adults can return to work in several days. However, the headband will need to be worn for several weeks. The full ear surgery recovery typically takes about six weeks.
Schedule an appointment today >>
Ear surgery can have a dramatic effect on your appearance and quality of life – especially for children. Contact our Portland office today to schedule an appointment and begin planning for your procedure.
Follow Us on Instagram
A Portland Plastic Surgeon
1200 NW Naito Pkwy, Ste 330Portland, OR 97209
Discover your true beauty. At the office of Dr. Matthew Lewis, we take everything into consideration, including your comfort, discretion, and of course your outcome. Please call us to schedule an appointment.