The upper back is a notoriously difficult feature to target with diet and exercise alone. Especially after dramatic weight fluctuations, bulges of fat in this area tend to stick around. When this occurs, a back lift with Dr. Lewis can remove unwanted volume and create a smooth contour.
What you need to know about the back lift
- Done under general anesthesia
- The recovery period lasts 7- to 10-days
- For women, the scar can be hidden in the bra line
What a back lift can do for you
- Remove rolls of fat and unsightly bulges on the back
- Create a smooth upper and lower back contour
- Firm loose and sagging back tissue
- Increased ability to wear clothes and swimwear with confidence
When to consider a back lift
You may want to consider back lift surgery if you:
- Have sagging skin, back fat and heavy rolls that are unresponsive to exercise
- Feel self-conscious about your looks because of your back
- Have been at a stable weight for at least six months
The procedure: Restoring a smooth + contoured back
Your surgery will begin with one of the best plastic surgeons in Portland, Oregon, Dr. Matthew Lewis, marking you in the pre-operative area. General anesthesia will then be administered by one of your anesthesiologists, which means you will be unconscious throughout the entire experience. From there, he will perform either liposuction or a surgical back lift, depending on your needs.
If your back rolls are composed primarily of fat and your skin features good elasticity, Dr. Lewis will likely perform liposuction. This will involve using a cannula to breakup and suction out unwanted fat cells.
If you have excess fat and loose skin, a surgical back lift will be required. To perform this procedure, Dr. Lewis will create an incision in the back, where the bra line would be on a woman. Through that opening, he will remove excess tissue, unwanted volume and rolls of fat.
Once the procedure is complete, you will be moved to the recovery room where you will be monitored closely until you are ready to return home.
After your surgery
- Arrange to have a friend or family member drive you home and stay with you during the first 24 hours after the procedure, as you will need help getting around the house and preparing meals.
- Expect to recover at home for about 7 to 10 days, at which point most of our patients are able to return to work.
- During the initial recovery period, you will need to avoid exercise, lifting your arms above your head and vigorous activity. Dr. Lewis will let you know when it is safe to resume your normal exercise routine.
- Some swelling and bruising is to be expected, though these effects will improve progressively as your body heals. In the meantime, apply ice to minimize swelling and take your pain medication as prescribed.
Schedule an appointment today >>
If you suffer from stubborn back fat and rolls, a lift with Dr. Lewis can sculpt a new contour that transforms your body. Contact our Portland office today to schedule an appointment and learn more about this procedure.
Follow Us on Instagram
A Portland Plastic Surgeon
407 NW 17TH AVE, STE 2Portland, OR 97209
Discover your true beauty. At the office of Dr. Matthew Lewis, we take everything into consideration, including your comfort, discretion, and of course your outcome. Please call us to schedule an appointment.