When diet and exercise aren't getting results
When diet and exercise aren't getting results, a tummy tuck may be what you are looking for. Board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Matthew Lewis, performs the most natural tummy tuck Portland Oregon has available by creating a firm, flat and contoured abdomen that you can't wait to show off.
Reasons to Have a Tummy Tuck
Deciding to have a tummy tuck is a personal choice. Most patients decide to have this procedure for cosmetic reasons, to achieve a firmer, flatter, more youthful-looking midsection. You may be a good candidate for this abdominal tightening treatment If you have:
- Stretched skin and weakened or separated abdominal muscles after pregnancy and childbirth
- Excess loose, hanging skin around the tummy zone after significant weight loss
- A tummy that protrudes and lacks tone despite diet and exercise
- Weak, protruding abdominal muscles due to aging
What can a tummy tuck do for you?
- Remove loose abdominal skin
- Sculpt a firm midsection
- Improve the appearance of stretch marks
- Tighten lax stomach muscles
- Boost your body confidence
- Create a more youthful overall figure
FAQ: Why must I be close to my ideal body weight to have a tummy tuck?
The closer you are to your ideal body weight before your Portland tummy tuck, the better your results will be. The procedure isn't intended for dramatic weight loss - it's for patients who are unable to tone their abdomen despite proper nutrition and exercise.
Is this procedure right for you?
- Close to your ideal body weight
- Loose or drooping abdominal skin
- Excess weight and fat in the midsection
- In good general health (physical and emotional)
- Committed to exercising and eating right moving forward to ensure stable results
- No plans to become pregnant or lose a significant amount of weight in the future
The Tummy Tuck Procedure
- Step one (Pre-OP): Find the ideal position for the scar Abdominoplasty restores a beautiful, flat, and youthful abdominal contour at the expense of a long scar. In order to mitigate this, Dr. Lewis will have you bring your smallest pair of underwear or bikini bottom on the day of surgery and will use marking pens to design his surgical incisions so that your scar will fall within the underwear outline, this way you can be confident that your scar will be covered by even your most revealing bottoms.
- Step two (during surgery): Tighten lax muscles. A critical part of our Portland tummy tuck is tightening the underlying abdominal muscles that have become lax due to age, weight fluctuations and pregnancy. To accomplish this, Dr. Lewis will separate the skin from your abdominal wall and stitch the muscles together to narrow the waistline and restore a toned appearance.
- Step three: Remove unwanted skin and fat. Once your muscles have been tightened, Dr. Lewis will perform liposuction to contour the flanks and pubis and remove any residual pockets of stubborn fat. From there, he will pull your skin down and trim the excess away.
- Step four: Reposition the naval. With the exception of the mini, most Portland abdominoplasty procedures involve bringing the naval, which remains attached to the abdominal wall, out through a new hole made in the tightened abdominal skin.
What to expect as you heal
- Time off from work. Expect to take about two weeks off from work for the average tummy tuck, and up to four weeks for a more extensive abdominoplasty.
- Reduced activity levels. You should begin lightly walking around the house as soon as possible to promote healing, but avoid strenuous activity until you’re cleared by Dr. Lewis.
- Constipation. Many tummy tuck patients experience some degree of constipation after surgery. Drinking plenty of water and taking over-the-counter constipation medication can relieve these symptoms.
Common concern: what will my scars look like?
Tummy tuck scars are inevitable. However, their length and severity will depend on the type of surgery you had and the skill of your surgeon. When Board-certified Portland plastic surgeon, Dr. Lewis, performs tummy tucks for his patients, he goes to great lengths to ensure a scar that heals well and can be easily hidden with clothing and swimwear. Immediately after surgery your lines may be quite noticeable, but they will fade with time.
Medical Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
Technically known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure performed to create a flat, toned abdomen by tightening abdominal muscles and removing loose skin and fat from the abdomen. However, this cosmetic treatment also has several important medical benefits. As stated by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), a tummy tuck procedure can:
- Improve abdominal tone and posture: Diet and exercise alone cannot correct abdominal muscles that have become distended after massive weight loss or multiple pregnancies. A tummy tuck surgically tightens weak or separated abdominal muscles to flatten the tummy and better support the spine for improved posture.
- Reduce Stress Urinary Incontinence: After vaginal deliveries, some women develop a bladder control problem known as Stress Urinary Incontinence, involving uncontrollable leakage of small amounts of urine with coughing, sneezing, exercising, or laughing. Several studies have indicated that a slight bladder obstruction created during a tummy tuck procedure using soft tissue near the pelvic area can help correct this problem.
- Correct ventral hernia: This type of hernia occurs when the intestine or abdominal tissue breaks through the abdominal wall and forms a pocket. Ventral hernia can be caused by weakness of the abdominal muscles or abdominal surgery such as appendectomy or C-section. Abdominoplasty performed at the same time as hernia correction can repair and strengthen the abdominal wall and help prevent ventral hernia from recurring.
What Is Recovery Like after a Tummy Tuck?
In most cases, Dr. Matthew Lewis performs tummy tuck surgery on an outpatient basis. Depending on the type of procedure, most patients are ready to return to work within two to four weeks after the procedure.
Plan to spend the first few days after surgery resting at home, except for gentle walks within the home to promote circulation to aid in the healing process. You can expect some soreness and discomfort for the first week or so after the procedure. Avoid strenuous exercise, lifting, or straining during your recovery.
Life after a tummy tuck How to preserve your results
The results of your abdominoplasty in Portland have the potential to last a lifetime– as long as you take care of yourself moving forward. That involves:
- Exercising regularly – at least 30 to 60 minutes a few times a week
- Maintaining a healthy, well-rounded diet
- Avoiding future weight gain
Schedule an appointment today >>
An abdominoplasty in Portland with Dr. Lewis is one of the best ways to achieve a firm and attractive midsection. Contact our plastic surgery center today to schedule an appointment and begin planning for your surgery.
A Portland Plastic Surgeon
10201 Southeast Main Street #20, Portland, OR 97216
Discover your true beauty. At the office of Dr. Matthew Lewis, we take everything into consideration, including your comfort, discretion, and of course your outcome. Please call us to schedule an appointment.