Top surgery is done to help transgender patients align their physical characteristics with their true identity.
FTM Top Surgery
Remove your natural breasts to sculpt a more masculine chest.
MTF Top Surgery
Feminize the chest with silicone or saline breast implants.
What it takes to be a candidate for Top Surgery
- At least 18 years of age
- In good overall health (physical and emotional)
- Having lived as your preferred gender for at least 1 year
- A letter of support from a doctor or therapist who knows you well
- 100% committed to the gender transition journey
Are you ready for a change?
Top surgery is a life-changing procedure that involves altering your physique. If you’re unsure about the operation, Dr. Lewis is available to discuss the benefits and risks with you and help you arrive at an informed decision.
Female-to-male (FTM) surgery
Perfect for large and heavy breasts, this technique involves an incision along the lower border of the breast and across the top of the breast and meeting at the corners creating an elliptical incision. Through the resulting opening, Dr. Lewis will remove breast tissue and relocate the nipple to a masculine position as a graft.
If you have good skin elasticity and a minimal amount of breast tissue, this approach may be ideal. Dr. Lewis will make a semi-circular incision around the areola and remove the breast tissue through this opening.
Male-to-female (MTF) top surgery
MTF top surgery is done under general anesthesia and takes about an hour and a half. It requires a small incision along the bottom border of the chest. Through that opening, Dr. Lewis will create a pocket and place a saline or silicone breast implant. For MTF operations, Dr. Lewis typically uses silicone implants placed behind the muscle. To complete the procedure, he will carefully close the incisions to minimize scarring and wrap the area with dressings.
With both MTF and FTM top surgery, there is a substantial recovery period. You can expect:
- Time off from work. Plan to take approximately 7 to 9 days off from work to rest. At that point, most of our patients are able to return to sedentary jobs.
- Swelling + discomfort. Swelling, bruising, pain and discomfort are virtually guaranteed after surgery. The effects will gradually improve as you heal and Dr. Lewis will prescribe pain medication to help you manage the discomfort in the meantime.
- Rest + self-care. During the recovery period, you should rest frequently. Walk lightly around the house as soon as you’re able, but avoid heavy lifting, exercise and other strenuous activities for at least six weeks.
Schedule an appointment today >>
Top surgery is a life-changing procedure that makes many patients feel much more comfortable in their own bodies. Contact our Portland office today to schedule an appointment and begin planning for your transformation.
A Portland Plastic Surgeon
10201 Southeast Main Street #20, Portland, OR 97216
Discover your true beauty. At the office of Dr. Matthew Lewis, we take everything into consideration, including your comfort, discretion, and of course your outcome. Please call us to schedule an appointment.